Skip to content ↓

Admissions Policy


Admissions Policy 2022 – 2023

Colne Park High School

Venables Avenue



01282 865200


This is an academy school.

11-16 Mixed

Head: Mrs C Eulert

Number on Roll: 1095

Admission Number: 215

Admission number for September 2022: 215


Colne Park High is a school serving its local community. This is reflected in its admissions policy.

Children will be admitted to the school in the following priority order:

  1. Looked after children and previously looked after children, then
  1. Children for whom the Board of Trustees accepts that there are exceptional medical, social or welfare reasons which are directly relevant to the school concerned, then
  1. Children living in the school's geographical priority area who will have a sibling [i] in attendance at the school at the time of transfer, then
  1. Children who have attended for the whole of Year 5 in a primary school that is part of The PENNiNE Trust before the closing date for application, then
  1. Children of current employees of the school who have had a permanent contract for at least two years prior to the admissions deadline or with immediate effect if the member of staff is recruited to fill a post for which there is a demonstrable skills shortage, then
  1. Children living within the school's geographical priority area [ii], then
  1. Children living outside of the school's geographical priority area who will have a sibling in attendance at the school at the time of transfer, then
  1. Children living outside of the school's geographical priority area.


  1. Sibling includes step children, half brothers and sisters, fostered and adopted children living with the same family at the same address (consideration may be given to applying this criterion to full brothers and sisters who reside at different addresses).
  1. Tie Break- The distance criterion which will be used as the tie breaker if there is oversubscription within any of the admission criteria is a straight line (radial) measure. If the Local Authority is unable to distinguish between applicants using the published criteria (e.g. twins or same block of flats) places will be offered via a random draw. The distance measure is a straight line (radial) measure centre of building [home] to centre of building [school].

Making an Application

All admissions applications should be made via the Lancashire County Council website: (search on the A-Z for ‘school admissions’). Once on the site, families can access all the admissions information. The secondary closing date is 31st October 2021 with offers being sent out on 1st March 2022 (or earlier if the process permits).

Address of pupil

The address used on the school’s admission form must be the current one at the time of application, ie the family’s main residence. If the address changes subsequently, the parents should notify the school. Where the parents live at different addresses, and there is shared parenting, the address used will normally be the one where child wakes up for the majority of Monday to Friday mornings, if there is any doubt about this, then the address of the Child Benefit recipient will be used. Parents may be asked to show evidence of the child’s address as the one claimed. Where there is dispute about the correct address to use, the trustees reserve the right to make enquiries of any relevant third parties, e.g. the child’s GP, Council Tax Office, Electoral Registration Officer, utilities provider. For children of UK Service personnel and other Crown Servants returning to the area, proof of the posting is all that is required.

Late Applications

Applications for school places which are received late will not necessarily be dealt with at the same time as those received by the set deadline. The reasons for a late application may be requested and where these are not exceptional the relevant admission criteria will be initially applied to all others received on time. The late application will be dealt with after this process.

Waiting Lists

Where we have more applications, the admissions criteria will be used. Children who are not admitted will have their name placed on a waiting list. The names on this waiting list will be in the order resulting from the application of the admissions criteria. Since the date of application cannot be a criterion for the order of names on the waiting list, late applicants for the school will be slotted into the order according to the extent to which they meet the criteria. Thus it is possible that a child who moves into the area later to have a higher priority that one who has been on the waiting list for some time. If a place becomes available within the admission number, the child whose name is at the top of the list will be offered a place. This is not dependent on whether an appeal has been submitted. This waiting list will operate until the end of December in the normal year of admission.

Non-routine or in-year admissions

For ‘In Year’ applications received outside the ‘normal’ admissions round and if places are available then children qualifying under the published criteria will be admitted. Direct application to the school can now be made under this heading. If there are placed available but more applicants than places, then the published oversubscription criteria will be applied. If all year groups are full, the family will be given appeals information.


Where the trustees are unable to offer a place because the school is oversubscribed, parents have the right to appeal to an independent admissions appeal panel, set up under the Schools Standards and Framework Act, 1998, as amended by the Education Act, 2002.

Parents should notify the Head of Governance at the school by to follow. Parents will have the opportunity to submit their case to the panel in writing and to attend in order to present their case. You will normally receive 14 days’ notice of the place and time of hearing.

Appeals which are received after the deadline will be slotted into the schedule where this is possible. There is no guarantee that this will happen and late appeals may be heard after the stipulated date at a second round of hearings. The schedule is subject to change depending upon the availability of appeal panel members, clerks, venues and the number of appeals for each school (which will vary year on year).

Please note that this right of appeal against the trustees’ decision does not prevent you from making an appeal in respect of any other school.

Fraudulent applications

Where the Board of Trustees discovers that a child has been awarded a place as the result of an intentionally misleading application from a parent (for example a false claim to residence in the catchment area or of involvement in a place of worship) which effectively denies a place to a child with a stronger claim, then the Board of Trustees is required to withdraw the offer of the place. The application will be considered afresh and a right of appeal offered if a place is refused.

Multiple Births

Where there are twins of multiple birth children wanting admission and it is not possible to offer a place to all of the children concerned or there is only one single place left within the admission number, then the Board of Trustees will exercise as much flexibility as possible. If places for both twins or all triplets, etc cannot be offered, the family will be advised accordingly. This may also apply to all siblings who are in the same year group. If it is not possible to offer a place to all of the children concerned or only a single place can be offered the place(s) will be offered via a random draw.


This area includes Foulridge, North Colne, Laneshaw Bridge and Trawden.

The above school’s priority area is the south and east perimeter of the priority area is the border with Burnley, Calderdale, Bradford and North Yorkshire.

The perimeter runs up the centre of Back Lane and continues up the centre of Southfields Lane and Lenches Road as far as Colne Water. It follows the underside of Colne Water to Coal Pitt Lane and crosses Colne Water heading north up the centre of Carry Lane to the B6250, Keighley Road. It continues briefly west down the centre of the road and then turns north up the centre of the A56, Skipton Road. At the junction with Windsor Street it heads west along the centre of Windsor Street, North Valley Road and Vivary Way until adjacent to Hiers House Lane. The perimeter then heads north west up the centre of the lane and continues across Red Lane to Barnoldswick Road.

It follows the east side of the road and continues north east under Standing Stone Lane before heading north over the reservoir on the west side of High Lane. It then turns east under White House Farm and heads north on the west side of the lane leading to Mill Hill Bridge. It goes over the top of the lane and crosses the Leeds and Liverpool Canal between Mill Hill Bridge and Hatters Bridge and continues eastwards to the A56, Colne Road over Great Hague. The perimeter then heads briefly south and then east towards Kelbrook Wood before turning south briefly again and then going north east over the lanes leading to the North Yorkshire border. This area includes the parish of Foulridge.

Parents should note that the school does have pupils on roll who live outside the stated priority area. Details of admissions are available from the school.


Pupils living in the above geographical priority areas may be entitled to travelling expenses to this school provided they reside three miles or more from the school, measured by the shortest walking route. If you are in doubt over the distance between your home and the school, please check with the Area Education Office.

If parents wish to check bus details these can be found on the Lancashire County Council website:


event that it is considered unsafe for a student to take part in an activity, then alternative activities that will cover the same curriculum areas will be provided within the school environment, wherever possible.

The school has its own breakfast club and a variety of school clubs are provided after school that are open to all. We aim for these to be as inclusive as possible and may provide additional staff or sessions in order to achieve this. Some student finds the break and lunchtime periods challenging. Depending upon their needs, it might not be appropriate for them to eat in the dining hall with a large number of students or spend long periods of time outside, therefore alternative bases are provided for this. Each student’s needs will be considered on an individual basis.

What support will there be for my child/young person's overall well-being?

Park High School is a very nurturing school and we understand the importance of student’s emotional and social wellbeing. We have an excellent pastoral team which includes Form Tutors, Wellbeing Key Workers and access to a counsellor. We are also a Rainbow’s School which offers tailored support to those students who have experienced significant loss or trauma.

Where difficulties persist, despite targeted, reactive intervention over a period of time, outside agencies may be requested, with the parents’ consent. This may include: services from the Local Authority, Behaviour Specialists, Clinical Psychologists and Educational Psychologists.

We are an inclusive school that holds a student’s emotional development as a priority and work with parents and students to achieve this:

•  The Form Teachers have responsibility for the pastoral, medical and social care of every student in their class

•  The school has members of staff who have extensive nurture training and are experienced in supporting children’s wellbeing needs

•  Any additional staff working with vulnerable students requiring support during the school day, will work under the direction of the Director of Student Support.

• The school has a policy regarding the administration and managing of medicines, which

is available on the policy page of the school website. Parents can request a ‘hard copy’ of this policy from the school office

•  Parents need to contact the school office if prescribed medication is recommended by healthcare professionals and needs to be taken during the school day. Any medication must be given to the school in the packaging that it was dispensed in by the pharmacy, with the student’s name and administration information clearly shown. A form must also be completed by the parent and medicines handed into and collected from the school office

•  On a day-to-day basis, the Wellbeing Team generally oversee the administration of any medicines. Another member of staff will always witness any administration

•  As a staff, we have regular training and updates on conditions and medication affecting individual student, so that all staff are able to manage medical situations

•  There are a number of named first-aiders in school who hold first aid qualifications, which are updated regularly.

How do you evaluate the effectiveness of the provision made for children and young people with special educational needs?

The Head of Faculty, Heads of House and the Senior Leadership Team monitor the progress of all students every term, to measure the amount of progress made within their individual subjects. In addition to this, Heads of Faculty, Teaching Assistants and the SENCo monitor the effectiveness of individual interventions at least termly or earlier for intensive interventions. Other evaluation procedures utilised within school are:

•    Regular evaluation and updating of student’s individual targets with teacher’s

•    Parent and pupil voice sought termly.

•    SEN work book scrutiny

•    Pupil Progress Meetings

•    Annual reviews with parents, students and outside agencies if applicable.

•    SEN report to Governors, termly

•    Parent and SENCo 1 to 1 meetings

•    Review of the interventions in faculty areas both with progress data and with narrative progress from the teacher

•    CAF / TAF process

How do you involve other bodies, including health and social services, local authority support services and voluntary organisations, in meeting the needs of children/young people with SEND and in supporting their families?

Park High School has a specialist teacher/SEN consultant in attendance weekly. Mrs Woodcock overseas the specialist provision for the student with SEN, carries out diagnostic assessments when necessary and acts as the school Associate SENCo. Within the school we have a culture of sharing good practice and expertise; this enables us to ensure our staff have as much knowledge as possible within the field of supporting student with SEND. As a school we work closely with any external agencies that we feel are relevant to supporting individual student’s’ needs within our school including: Health services including: GPs, school nurse, ELCAS/CAMHS (Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service), clinical psychologist, paediatricians, speech and language therapists, occupational and physiotherapists; Student’s Services including: Early Help locality teams, social workers, educational psychologists and specialist advisory teachers. Parents will always be consulted before any additional agency involvement is sought.

Further information on voluntary organisations can be found on the school website via the FIND newsletters and Lancashire Local Offer.

What arrangements do you make in relation to the treatment of complaints from students/young people and their parents/carers with special educational needs concerning your provision made?

Please speak to the SENCo in the first instance

General information relating to SEND can be found on the school website, included within the SEND policy. This can be found on the SEND of the school website. Further information is available from the Head teacher, or, in exceptional circumstances, the SEN Governor. The school has a complaints policy, which is available on the policy page of the school website. You might also wish to visit the following websites:

•  Lancashire County Council’s Local Offer, outlining services available for student and young people who have SEND, can be found at education-families/special-educational-needsand-disabilities/about-lancashires-local- offer.aspx

•  Contact the Information, Advice and Support team (formerly Parent Partnership) on: families/special-educational-needs-and-disabilities/help-for-parents-and- carers/information-advice-and-support.aspx

•  Contact IPSEA (Independent Parental Special Education Advice)

Where can I find the contact details of support services for the parents of children/young people with SEND?

The information in this report feeds into Lancashire County Council’s Local Offer which details support, opportunities and services available to children and young people in their area that have SEND.

This can be accessed at:


The Information, Advice and Support team (formerly Parent Partnership) can also provide information, support and advice to the parents or carers about their child’s special educational needs.

To contact them please call 0300 123 6706 or visit

Where can I find information on where the local authority's local offer is published?

Lancashire County Councils Local Offer -